Thursday, November 7, 2019

Trick or treat or what?



I already mentioned in my very first post that this blog is more or less a translation of my German one but I realized that this one here can't be translated 1:1, at least not without extended explanations about German traditions, silly songs you can't translate without losing the rhyme and the fun. So I tend to spare you that.

If you like, you can jump over to my German blog: 
kraeuterderprovinz.blogspot.com

Here is a short summary of my thoughts there: In the US (and I didn't check where else in the world), people celebrate Halloween by dressing up and roaming the neighborhood doing the trick or treat thing. Over time this phenomenon came to Germany. Now, Children living in Germany like Halloween, they turned "trick or treat" into "Süßes, sonst gibt's Saures" (I like that) and endulge in dressing up as witches, skeletons and so-on. Some old-fashioned people might complain, that we don't need another American tradition replacing our own although there is no replacement going on. I think: If you have the possibility to celebrate, do it. And if you have the opportunity to celebrate twice, even better! 

[Quick side note regarding that aforementioned German tradition: In mid November we celebrate Saint Martin's day. The tale: Martin was a rich roman soldier and riding on a fine horse he passed a beggar. As it was freezing, he took his warm cloak, parted it with his sword and gave half of the coat to the beggar. We honor and celebrate this with a parade led by a rider representing Saint Martin. All children participating in the parade carry lanterns and sing and at the end there is a large fire.]

Because I am all into decorating I like Halloween with all the pumpkins and such. At the beginning of my post btw there is a concrete pumpkin I made with some nylons and rubber bands. The mummy I only wrapped in gauze bandages and sticked some wobbly eyes on it, thus we could still eat the pumpkin afterwards. He was accompanied by leaf ghosts - collected some leaves, painted them white and took a black sharpie to add some eyes, done! And don't miss the little batmen made of egg cartons :-)


Last but not least two carved pumpkins - one by hubby and one by me - shouldn't be that difficult to tell who did which… 



My parting wisdom for this post:
A good answer to the question 
"either/or" may be "both" :-)




2 comments:

  1. Yes I completely agree! Why miss a chance to celebrate if you can ;), Great Post by the way

    ReplyDelete