Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Cool crochet


Childhood memories of crochet projects… An orange triangle scarf with fringes and white crochet flowers, a brown spectacle pouch with white crochet lace made in needlework education at school, barbie ball gowns in pink/violet/yellow… And then this technique somehow went to the dustbin to rot, because crocheting wasn't cool anymore. Knitting was fun, but crocheting? Thanks, but no, thanks.

And now this needlework slowly tiptoed its way back into awareness. Funny blankets made from colorful yarn scraps are called granny squares, there are CALs (crochet along) and it's fancy now. Lately I heard of a blanket inspired by the weather. Different weather conditions (sunshine, rain, snow - you get it) were assigned to different yarn colors, and everyday the person crocheted a row in the color according to the weather that day. Don't ask me what happened if there was rain in the morning and sunshine in the afternoon, if there was a color change in the middle row. But in the end you got a blanket with gradient colors in 365 rows - very creative!

Not sure if I wanted to stick to a single project a whole year but nevertheless I rediscovered crocheting a while ago. It started with funny animal hats for my youngest godchild (monster, owl, bear and so-on, and I guess, Max would hate me later, therefore, no pictures), followed by a baby blanket consisting of the aforementioned granny squares:


A dragon tail scarf:

And as Christmas gifts I made loads of potholders which don't look old-fashioned at all if you choose the right yarn and pattern: 





Here I pimped simple throw cushions:


Und last but not least I made a mobile for Max's little brother (apart from the animal hats Max might have outgrown). I recycled an old stitching hoop of which the outer ring was broken and used up any scraps of yarn I could muster in my stash. 


And with regards to long forgotten needleworks: Maybe I should reconsider some knitting projects...



No comments:

Post a Comment