Thursday, November 7, 2019

Don't try this at home!


The All Saints' weekend is over, I successfully endured the traffic jam on the way to the office (in fact, the whole route was one single congestion) thanks to an audio book. Let's start the week and begin with a summary. 

Thursday evening (aka Halloween) actually four or fife groups of children rang our bell to trick or treat. Although I encouraged them to take some hearty handful of the sweets, I see myself forced to exterminate a few jelly spiders on my own... :-)

The holiday I spent mostly on the couch - the doggies urgently demanded some cuddles and who am I to say no to them? But I found some spare time to bake an apple cheesecake with walnut-oat-sprinkles. The recipe recommended caramel sauce but ice cream was a perfect match.


Because we had grapes in the fridge on the verge of going bad and puff pastry in the freezer which should be used also, I made a chicken tarte with grapes and hazelnuts (yes, I'm currently nuts about nuts).  


In combination with an unfiltered beer and some heat emerging from the fireplace that made a very cosy evening. And on Sunday I wanted to try the postponed vegan spread which should resemble liver sausage. If you take a closer look at this post's title and the first picture you might guess what I want to say: It went completely wrong! Ok, you could argue that it's a crazy idea anyway to rebuild a meat-based food product by something plant-based. Either eat plants or meat, period. Sure this statement might be true if you avoid meat because you don't like the taste of it. But if you want to reduce your meat consumption for ethical reasons a plant-based alternative isn't such a bad idea - at least in my humble opinion.

At first glance the recipe wasn't complicated at all: Throw a can of kidney beans in the food processor, add some spices and that's it. Unfortunately I had marjoram, red onions, garlic, salt and pepper in my pantry, but I didn't realize I needed smoked paprika powder. When grocery shopping in my usual spots there was sweet paprika and hot paprika but the smoked version was nowhere to be found. Well, I thought, the sweet one has to do the job but that was a huuuuuge mistake. Texture and color were fine but all you could taste was the sweet paprika - yuck!

Not yet sure if I a) order the correct spice online, b) choose another recipe (found one nuts-based - how suitable) or b) just try a store-bought vegetarian liver "sausage" spread. Keep you posted…


No comments:

Post a Comment