Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Technology pitfalls

Sometimes there's simply a bug in the system...

Yesterday I decided to leave my little TetraPak village as it is, no more additions because it turned out really cute. One thing kind of annoyed me: I have tons of LED lights but not all of them worked. One was missing which I replaced by a conventional tea light with a real burning candle. You can see the difference, it's the little house on the left (not on the prairie).



Hubby also liked it and recommended making a short video. I did that, but unfortunately it was too dark - not very atmospheric, I must admit. He stepped in and made another video with his newer phone - pretty atmospheric at first, but then he noted that he recorded some background noise as well: the radio and Else panting. That was not so atmospheric but he told me to just cancel the audio - piece of cake.

Sure, no problem. He sent me the video with iMessage and I forwarded the attachment via mail to my computer in order to be able to save it and process it there. I always use my laptop to write the blog because it is handier than dealing with my phone or pad. But there was my next problem… I could only hear the video on my computer (first item of my bucket list: record a music track with a panting dog) or I had to install some codecs-updates (chargeable, of course). How funny!
  
After some research I downloaded an app and was finally able to see the video (and listen to), yay. And it was easy to switch off the audio, but I wanted to delete the audio completely to spare you the experience of a panting Else in the background. 

I experimented back and forth but somehow it all ended the same: I could download a video editing app but when I wanted to save the new audioless version of the video it turned to chargeable. Then I had high hopes that when uploading the video to my blog post I might be able to edit it then. To cut a long story short: I went to "upload video", chose the little film, stared for minutes on "processing video" to read repeatedly: "An error occurred when processing your video". Bummer!

Maybe I try another video when all houses are lit up with LEDs but for today I have faith in your imagination and apply for "Britain's got no talent" or "American iDAU"!

DAU = Dumbest assumable user:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment