Monday, November 18, 2019

Some kind of wonderful

I had a fantastic weekend, y'all! As usual, I did the groceries on Friday, because hubby and the dogs had to be provided with some food and treats. Therefore, I loaded my shopping cart with beer (for hubby) and pizza (for hubby and the doggies) because I wanted to go on a trip. Then we startet the weekend very cosy at the fireplace.

Saturday morning I went on my way to my hometown. It's a little place in the far west of Germany near Cologne, where I spent my childhood and teenage years and where - logically - I went to school. Even when this isn't any longer the place to be for me I have so many good memories. The first reason for this trip to memory lane was the girls breakfast. Girls? I am hitting the big 5 0 next month so I have to be kidding. No, I am not - this is just a question of personal attitude :-)

What's this girls breakfast about? Well, every second or third Saturday in November a few girls who passed the "Abitur" (A-levels) jointly with me meet at a café to have breakfast together. Although our paths led us in different directions, we always have a lot to talk about - similarities, differences, we laugh and cry together, we discuss, and we do not only talk about old stuff (when we rode to schools on dinosaurs…) but we talk about what's on our minds right now, what we like and what we don't like, what makes us happy and what not. A classmate wrote yesterday: Here I can be me - and that's hitting the nail on the head. We don't have to act, we don't have to play a certain role, we don't have to keep up appearances. Only sitting together for 2 or 3 hours, looking back and ahead, exchange and enjoy a friendship lasting for over 30 years. Simply wonderful.

Then I popped in at my parents to pay them a visit. We speak on the phone rather regularly put personal meetings don't happen so often. Therefore, I enjoyed seeing them and I hope, they did, too.

Afterwards I drove to my childhood friend for over 40 years - can you imagine? Back in the days my family just moved house and it was one of the first days in my new school when the choir conductor of the nearby church came to hunt for new singers. I didn't think twice and joined the choir where Bine already sung. It clicked instantly and even when we weren't close it was always the same: We meet and it feels as if no time has passed at all. In some ways it is the same as with the breakfast girls: none of us has to play a role, we know each other inside out, the conversation topics never run dry, and it was awesome to meet in person instead of social media. We had an exciting evening (keyword: carnival), and I had the chance to listen to and speak my local dialect - the language of my childhood I can't deny even after 20 years of living in the Swabian part of Germany. When I drove home on Sunday at noon not only my car was fueled but my soul as well. I was able to relax and I am filled with positive energy (OMG, that sounds like Cesar Millan). Another try: I feel good (nananana, now I sound like James Brown - much better)!

And as I didn't want to come empty handed, I made some truffles for my friend. Another quick and easy recipe: Just melt whipping cream and chocolate together, mix it with crumbled Spekulatius cookies and let it cool in the fridge. Form into balls and roll them in cinnamon, brown sugar and cocoa powder - yummy!



As usual, it's all about the packaging, and can you imagine that this was a Tetra-Pak? I crushed and crumpled it to get off the outer layer with the print. Inside there is still the silver layer which is perfect for the truffles: stable enough to protect the delicate chocolates and due to the coating the treats could not stain the outer layer of paper. Very cute with the twine and the twig, isn't it? 


Remember refueling from time to time!

No comments:

Post a Comment