Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Singing is like riding a bike


Yay, I can still do it! Well, not yet, but let's start at the beginning… 

A few weeks ago my employer asked: What kind of type are you? Me: That's none of your business, what do you want from me? But then I saw the possible answers and instantly knew where that was leading. The options were namely: 
  • I am a professional singer
  • No one can beat me at Karaoke
  • Find me singing in the shower, and so on...
The reason for this is a beautiful idea (at least in my opinion): Members of my company located in Germany, Austria and Switzerland form a choir, and in May we will perform together with professional musicians. We want to take a stand against all the negative news dominating our world and therefore we specially chose the "Ode to Joy". Moreover, it's an awesome sign for unity and collaboration in times of exclusion and demarcation. And finally it's a project I totally can relate to! Our usual events like running half marathons is not my cup of tea although the Almased cover girls down below want to fool and convince you otherwise :-)


Well then, yesterday the first of twelve rehearsals took place. Much to my dismay in Dusseldorf - the Forbidden City for Cologne people… In every larger office in Germany as well as in Vienna and Zurich there will be regular rehearsals and at the weekend of our concert all choirs will be united into one giant choir. I already did that with other choir projects (e.g. Carmina Burana) but nevertheless I am excited. 

And our conductor already stepped heartily on the gas yesterday: Every register sang their part twice and then altogether already. Pretty ambitious, if you ask me, especially as there are not only experienced singers participating but also complete rookies who still have to find their register. 

I guess she wanted to challenge us in some way or give us an idea of what lies ahead. Anyway, I really, really enjoyed it. And even when I could feel my 10 years' lack of practice I couldn't deny 33 years of choir experience either. Nevertheless I can't rely on the rehearsals alone and will have to practice at home. But I found some awesome training material for Alto (my register - somehow logical, isn't it?). Should be possible but probably to the chagrin of my housemates… :-)

Ask for autographs in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment