Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The fellowship of the frog

Hi, y'all,

those of you who didn't grow up in Germany probably won't remember, but there was a German movie series in the Sixties based on thriller series by Edgar Wallace. Although I am old, but not so old that I watched the original broadcast, I loved the reruns in my childhood. One of these episodes was called "Der Frosch mit der Maske" - literally "the masked frog" but the actual English title was "The fellowship of the frog". Regardless of the translation I guess the German title must have run through my mind when planning a birthday present for my youngest godchild. Fun fact: I challenged myself to use all the DIY materials in my stash before purchasing something new. And I have to admit that it is not so easy to apply the fabric or yarn so effectively that it is a) sufficient for the project and b) the result is somehow presentable.

Anyway, I found two skeins of green yarn, and my sister will surely know what I used it for :-) Well, the color yelled "frog" in my face, and so I started crocheting this cute little guy.


According to the spirit of our time I made him proper business attire with his red bow tie as well as a face mask in case he wants to take the bus. 

Of course the mask is detachable and this is how buddy looks underneath:


In order to avoid him feeling weird with his mask I sewed another one for the birthday boy. Although he technically wouldn't need one, but you never know...


Before that birthday comes, my oldest godchild turns 17. He likes baking and is pretty good at it, as well! But maybe he's also interested in cooking and therefore, I got him an Italian cook book. Besides he wore a pirate costume last carnival which inspired me to this key chain:


The paracord pendant ends in a so-called monkey fist and the anchor works as bottle opener - pretty handy for cooking according to the saying: If you don't like the food, have more of the wine :-)

Some time ago I tried the first of these key chains, and while in the mood, I made a matching bracelet. (But while writing this, I realize that it's kind of dopey to have a bracelet matching to a keychain…)

But in this way I found an awesome transition to more bracelets, yay! Hubby's wearing two or three, but here are a few more which I braided or macramee'd over time: 




Have a good start into the new week!







No comments:

Post a Comment