Monday, May 4, 2020

Come, mister tallyman, tally me banana...

Hi, y'all!

There are people saying, there is no coincidence, but sometimes it's amazing… Last week I watched a YouTube video by Kupferfuchs (German, means copperfox and relates to her haircolor) presenting her favorite three variations of banana bread recipes. Hubby heard that and was instantly hooked. He knew that crossover between bread and cake since his days in the U.S. and liked it pretty much. So I just bought some bananas last Monday when I received a WhatsApp message by my sister with a recipe. You can imagine what? Exactly - banana bread!

At that time I already chose a recipe but had to realize that I needed one or two bananas more to bake two breads. But my sister's recipe used applesauce in addition and I know that you can supplement an egg with applesauce, so I filled the missing amount of banana mush with applesauce - worked perfectly with a hint of cinnamon! And it was the same procedure as always: I wanted to have one of these breads for Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon with coffee, but on Saturday it was totally cleared out! Only good that I already put the second one into the freezer...



Recently we discovered our liking for pancakes. Usually I am not the biggest fan of frying stuff like potato fritters, pancakes or crêpes, but since I detected the right combination of heat and pan I am definitely team pancakes.

The dough is super simple: 200 g flour, 1 sachet vanilla sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, a pinch of salt and 250 ml milk (any kind, but we absolutely prefer coconut). That's it - no more sugar, no kind of fat, no eggs. This amount of dough turns into 12 pancakes the size of my palm, wich is perfectly sufficient for our breakfast of two. And I learned the following trick: When the dough shows little bubbles it's the perfect time for turning it. 


In the US you usually serve it with maple syrup or blueberries, but unfortunately I had neither on hand. Thus I decided to make some caramel syrup, instead. Hubby likes it very much, and I'm afraid I have to make them every weekend :-)

By the way, caramel syrup is pretty easy to make, and I bet you got the ingredients at home even during lockdown: 200 g sugar and 125 ml water. First you melt the sugar in a pot while constantly stirring it. I put my stove top on level 5 of 9, and it takes quite a while until the sugar starts to dissolve. But then it melts rather quickly and turns from white into a honeylike yellow. At that point you add the water, and it sputters and hisses and turns into a ball. Attention, sugar can be very hot! But don't be afraid, just keep on stirring like mad and let it simmer until the sugary ball dissolves again. The syrup now has a dark color, just like forest honey or maple syrup. Bottle it and you're done!

Just fyi: The syrup is quite liquid, which is so-so with the pancakes, 
but awesome with coffee. 


Have a good start into the week, you sweeties!


No comments:

Post a Comment