Tuesday, March 17, 2020

I only wanted a prescription...

Hi y'all,

I just had an interesting experience… I've got an underactive thyroid (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis) and thus have to take medication every morning. Packaging size is 100 pills, so each three months I have to pop in at my GP to get a new prescription. Official reason: My medical condition and thus my requirements could change and then the prescription has to be adapted accordingly. Interesting fact: Blood tests are done every two years (not every three months) and the medication hasn't been changed during the last 20 years. Theoretically there is no reason to deny me a larger package but there is no reasoning with the system...

Anyway, my pills will last until the end of this week, therefore, I have to care for replenishment. To be on the safe side I checked my GP's website yesterday and learned that they restricted their opening hours to mornings only and will see only emergency patients for the time being. But you can order prescriptions via answering machine one day and pick them up the next day. So I ordered, went to the GP and assumed, that would be a quick one - wham, bam, thank you Ma'm. Far from it!

Long queue in front of the medical practice, and not inside, but outside. Only the aforementioned emergencies were admitted into the practice. The idea is not so bad because you could easily keep your personal distance. At first queue from the right to register and then queue from the left to receive your prescription.

Again, good plan in my eyes, but it soon became obvious that there are fast and not so fast foxes in the forest. Or should I say "egoistic"? "I only need a prescription!" "We all do - there is the end of the waiting line." "But I already ordered by phone!" "We all did - there is the end of the waiting line." Then unbelieving amazement. But to be fair I have to say that most of the waiting did that patiently and with understanding. And if one of the "I only need and I already had" guys came too close, a simple "Would you please be so kind and keep some distance?" really helped.

After that, I had to wait again, this time in front of the pharmacy because they only admitted three clients at a time. Which is perfectly fine, I guess, and moreover, it's a beautiful and sunny day, and it felt quite comfortable to just stand there waiting in the sun. Could have been pouring with rain instead. What bothered me is that it took me a whole hour during which I should stay at my desk and work. But in this case I had no other option because the situation won't change in the next few days.

While waiting I could listen to some interesting conversations - you don't believe what deep philosophical discussions can arise in the Ruhr area about the spreading of the virus, the greed of mankind in general and in particular, and of course the cancelled soccer derby Schalke / Borussia while people are waiting for their turn :-)


Only bummer: Against my request to write a prescription for 200 pills I only received one for 100 pieces. I will face the whole situation again in three months. But now I know what to expect and in general I am grateful that my doctor's practice is still open and that I got my prescription as well as my medication.

Oh, and in addition to my laundry situation: I now know hubby's got 110 (!) t-shirts in his closet; if there is a zombie apocalypse and no toilet paper I can easily make wash cloths for a bunch of butts!

And another addition: Ernestine's mama liked the white embroidered bonnet so much that the little girl will wear it at her baptizing ceremony and mama is already looking for a matching christening gown. I am a little bit proud somehow...

Stay healthy and keep your distance!



No comments:

Post a Comment