Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Summertime

 ...and the living is easy...

Hi, Y'all,

Indeed it is! Since June first, hubby and me are fully vaccinated, and now that our two weeks waiting time is over, we are back on track to normal. Bars and restaurants are re-opening, the first concerts are actually taking place, and shopping is no longer limited to online services or window shopping only. 

And while all that is happening, I was lacking the drive to write a new blogpost. But as all this blogging should serve as entertainment for you AND for me, I don't stress myself out. If I'm in the mood for a new blogpost, I'll do that, and if not, please rest assured that I'm totally fine. Bad news travel fast, you know.

Because I was offline so long, here are many, many pictures as compensation!

Let's start in the kitchen: Before the asparagus season ends in Germany, here is the umptieth recipe for a salad:


I fried the asparagus pieces in a pan and mixed them with orange fillets. I roasted some cashews and walnuts fatfree in a pan and put them on top of it. With the orange juice and some maple syrup and olive oil I made a dressing. Together with a healthy dose of parmesan cheese it was absolutely delicious!

That salad is - like any salad tbh - a perfect match for some BBQ, and in this regard I definitely should mention my monkey bread. Don't know exactly why it's called like this, but it sounds funny and I like it. Basically it's simple, but pretty (well, that sounds familiar...): Start a yeast dough, and after the first setting period, form little balls the size of a tennis ball or golf ball (or whatever ball you find suitable - just leave out basket balls...). Roll these balls in different toppings.  


I took roasted onions, spiced tomato paste and shredded Parmesan cheese. The balls were placed close to close in a baking pan. They had to set for another 20 minutes or so and were baked afterwards. 


Please don't forget to grease your pan thoroughly, otherwise the wreath won't come out of it. I had exactly that problem and therefore, there is no monkey bread picture after baking... 

But once you're done with the main course, you need dessert. Surely you could throw some pineapple, peaches or bananas on the grill, but as we still are in strawberry season, I opted for the classic strawberry sponge roll. 

Don't want to brag, but I was asked twice if that cake was store-bought. :-) Took that as a compliment...

Lately, the older daughter gifted me with a bunch of different yarns. And as some lightweight shawls or cotton socks would have been appropriate, I had a basket full of cosy wither yarns to work with, which I did: 


And here in detail: First, a crochet hat in puff stitches (which means, several double crochet stitches connected).


A second hat, also crocheted, but with an alpine stitch, and as I liked it, with a large pompom. 


But not only the head has to be kept warm, the throat is as important. Therefore I crocheted a loop in a 3d shell stitch: 



Knitting cables isn't so complicated, once you understand the underlying principle, therefore please find below a cabled shawl in a beautiful teal color: 




But I was busy in the home decor department, too. Last Saturday, I stumbled upon a super chunky silver grey yarn. My white pillow covers I sewed a few weeks ago look great on my sofabed, but little paws, noses and snouts prevent them from staying white very long. Therefore, I decided to knit a pillow cover in said silver grey and hope it's not so sensitive colorwise. And with German needle size 10 it was quickly done. 


To avoid my sewing machine feeling neglected, please find my latest sewing projects. Perfectly in line with spring and summer, I made flowery baskets. They could contain lots of different little knickknacks, and may be used even for plants, if you like. To give them the necessary stability, I fused both layers of fabric with stabilizer. Have a look: 


 




These flower baskets are admittedly dainty, delicate and girly. Usually, this is not my cup of tea, but I just had to try them. But sometimes, less is more, and therefore, I also made a more minimalistic version of fabric containers: 





All of them bear a small label from vegan leather adorned with a fabric flower, because I intended to use them for plants. You could tilt them up or down, and the best thing: They don't take very much space when tucked away in the closet. 

I hope, you are all fine and 
are enjoying the summer time as much as I do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment