Wednesday, February 17, 2021

DIY rocks!

Hi, Y'all! 

My relocation vacation is over, and I've been working again since Monday. And since that day my email footer shows Berlin as official work location. Well, then I will have to use a real vacation day for carnival next year, as only the offices in the Rhineland and Ruhr area gift their employees one additional vacation day. But that doesn't matter, the main thing is that we will be able to celebrate again next year. Although there is room for improvement in the vaccination process in Germany, but I remain optimistic...

What shall I say? Except a larger order at the Swedish furniture company which I procrastinate because I have to check how they organize delivery and installation, everything is done. Our kitchen is delivered and functioning, only the fridge and the hood will be installed next week. No problem though, because we have a spare fridge. As it stands in the upper floor we have to take our shopping basket and jump up and down the stairs for cooking and preparing breakfast, but that only adds to the moving streak on the smart watch...  

And then we additionally ordered a broom cabinet and a kitchen island. That never happened to me: There is so much space in the kitchen, that we would be insane not to add that broom cabinet. Will come in very handy to have the mop right where the dogs' water bowl stands, because their table manners, you know... And in the center of the kitchen it looks weirdly empty. A dining table with chairs would be too large, but an island will be perfect. Help, my kitchen is too big! :-) But seriously: I am very happy with my large open concept kitchen. Now I don't have to spread my stuff everywhere but have everything in one place.

Thus after the chores comes the fun part: decoration and DIY! As first project I painted all my storage jars, unmatching flower pots and a metal sign which I want to use as a menu board, with black chalkboard paint. 


Then I want to create some artworks. In our old house we had some beautiful calendar pages in area format. But here the ceiling height is a bit lower (at least in the first floor), and artworks in portrait format would be better because they optically stretch the rooms. I started with a matching set of two artworks in silver and grey for my office space. I was inspired by mid-century/modern design, and I think the two objects somehow resemble the Bauhaus figurines by Oskar Schlemmer. Wich is very suitable, because Dessau as birthplace of the Bauhaus movement is right around the corner. 



Both artworks aren't painted, but glued like in a scrap book instead. I used corrugated cardboard, shiny cardboard, crushed paper and some leftover adhesive aluminium foil which I used years ago to cover my dishwasher. Unfortunately I didn't manage to take a picture without reflections on the glass, but the artworks look very nice and fit well in their spot.

My plan is to create another set of two artworks for hubby's office and maybe a set of two or even three for the bedroom. Will keep you posted! 

And then I started another crazy project to recycle some of the packing material from our relocation. In my office, there is now a rack which we originally had in our living room. There it was solely used for deco purposes, and thus it only carried some pictures in frames and some sculptures we bought on our trip to Tanzania. Now I want to use it for storage as well, and therefore, I need a few fitting boxes. I'd love them to look kind of braided like rattan or water hyacinth for example. So I built two boxes out of a relocation box:




For additional stabilisation and to cover the writings I will cover them in paper and glue. This is still on my to do list right now. After that I will take all the wrapping paper from tableware and glasses and make two giant braids which will be wrapped around the boxes and fixed with hot glue. Like this:


Might look like that then:


But to be honest, the braiding is too bold for my liking. I have two kinds of paper, and here I took the harder one. I guess with the thinner and softer paper the braids will be more delicate. When everything is glued to the boxes, I will cover them in another coat of glue to make it durable. And last but not least I want to install two leather handles with book screws, to be able to pull the boxes out of the rack. At least that's the plan, and I will report, if it works or if I have to order ready-made boxes from the Swedish furniture company...

And here's something funny I made for my laundry room: 



In case you can't see it  - the clothespin holds the famous single black sock...

Stay safe and sane, y'all!



No comments:

Post a Comment