Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Blog with educational purpose

Hi, Y'all!

Spring is in the air! We had our first latte macchiatos on the balcony and even the dogs enjoy to go for walkies without their coats. (No discussion about coats being necessary for dogs or not, there are situations where it totally makes sense.) Anyway, Magdeburg is really pretty right now and it starts feeling like home. Tbh, the picture below neither shows a latte macchiato nor Magdeburg, but it looks so sunny that it reflects my mood perfectly :-)


Few days ago I had to go to the post office because my signed transfer notice was needed in paper (!) for my digital (!) personnel file. On my way I walked our street from one end to the other and realized that the house numbers are sorted in an unusual way. Normally we have the even numbers on one side of the street and the odd numbers on the other. But in our street they are continuously arranged, which means they start at the Cathedral on one side of the street and ascend up to the end of the street, then continue on the other side and end again at the cathedral. 

Highly interesting, and I wanted to know if that is typical for Eastern Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, the city of Magdeburg or just our street. Well, since I had to walk a bit yesterday, because there was no parking space right in front of the vet, I realized that it had to be a special feature of our street. I did some research and learned that our address even has its own Wikipedia entry! Slightly outdated because it stated our house would be still empty, but nevertheless an interesting fact, I think. 

Furthermore, I learned that house numbers in Magdeburg have to be at least 10 cm in height and that they have to be located at least 1,50 m above street level in order to be visible from mid-street (this is equally important for rescue services and delivery heroes).

But that's not all, I also learned that - in contrast to my original assumption - there are two homogenous systems to arrange house numbers:

1. The so-called Paris system, where you start with number 1 on one side of the street and with 2 on the other side. Both sides ascend with the numbers divided into even and odd until the end of the street.

2. The so-called Berlin system with circulating numbers which means you start on one side of the street with 1, ascend without interruption on that side until you reach the end of the street, then go back on the other side of the street with further ascending numbers.

Funny thing, right? That these systems exist with equal value was completely new to me!

But to avoid a blogpost with only one picture, here's something artsy:

I already mentioned that I needed pictures or artworks with portrait orientation, and I played around a bit. Unfortunately, the artworks for the bedroom did not meet my expectations and have to stay in the unpublished stash for the time being. But I managed to produce two unexpected flukes which now hang in the hallway above the antique sewing machine:

Hubby's office, however, was in dire need of some color because the furniture is limited to black and white, only. And once again, I got inspired by the Bauhaus movement - at least regarding the colors. I worked with acrylic paint and applied it with a foam roller, a wooden strip and a champagne cork... Here you go: 



The artwork frames below are slightly larger than the ones above, and therefore they hang on an unfurnished wall whereas the smaller ones hang above a sofa. Hubby likes, and me too! 

Stay safe and sane, sweeties!


No comments:

Post a Comment