Monday, February 17, 2020

Greeting Cards (Hello, card! Hello, Alex)

Hey,

was your weekend as nice as mine?

Saturday afternoon I enjoyed some cheesecake and coffee with all the little ladies living in our cul-de-sac. The Germans call such an event "Kaffeeklatsch" which can be translated as coffee chit-chat or hen party (but with less alcohol, I guess), and it tends to sink into oblivion as something only for old people. But although I was the youngest there (yay!) all the girls were truly young at heart, and we had much fun. 

Afterwards hubby and I drove to Bergisch-Gladbach. But no, we didn't want to pay a visit to screeching Mrs. Klum with Hans and Franz but we went to see a dear friend of mine. 30 years ago, when we rode to school on our dinosaurs, you know, we passed our A-levels together. She had - like many of my circle of friends nowadays - a special birthday, and we spent a very nice evening with many dear classmates from my oldschool old school :-)

As you can't arrive empty handed to such an event I prepared a voucher wrapped in a nice birthday card. And in connection with this I will show you some examples of greeting cards I tinkered over the years… It's far from complete but I don't want to bore you.

One of my first attempts I made already 9 years ago:


It was the save the date announcement for our wedding - of course adorned with my favorite flower and quite suitably with a tied knot (pun intended :-) Short explanation: The Germans don't know the expression "to tie the knot" but if they want to remind themselves of something special they "make a knot into the hanky" to remember that thing or event. In connection with our wedding I did a lot of stationery and other DIY projects but this might fill a whole other post. May be something for May... 

After the wedding I only made some Christmas cards now and then and all other greeting cards were storebought. Fun fact: Last year's Christmas cards were already finished in fall but I was not very happy with them. They looked as if some three year old did them in pre-school, although a Christmas tree popped up when you opened the card. But I could neither stand nor send them and so I designed a new one on my computer and just printed it out. After all, it's some kind of DIY, isn't it?

Then, a few years ago, I made a card for Marie which somehow disappeared in her dorm in Munich, unfortunately. The money/the voucher inside got refunded but the greeting card itself stayed lost. Well Marie, at least you can look at it here:


Here is an Easter card with finger prints turned into cute little chickens: 


And this is the aforementioned card I made for my friend last weekend: 

Please pay special attention to the bunting and the sight - I sewed them on with my sewing machine. Sounds funny but went very well. 

And once I started I couldn't stop and continued with the cards for my dad and my dad-in-law.  I know it's early but what I have, I have :-)


And next Friday my BFF Bine has her birthday - and the guys who know her know also that the design may possibly appeal to her :-)

And again, I used my sewing machine:


Oh, by the way: If somebody waits for my next post to go online on Monday, he or she has to stay patient until Ash Wednesday - I have to (!) celebrate Carnival :-)

Alaaf y'all!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment