Monday, February 3, 2020

All that glitters is not gold

Hi, y'all,

I suppose I don't have to repeat that well-known saying, but anyway. As you probably know, zero waste or zero plastic is THE trend right now and I am definitely a fan. I won't reduce my plastic waste to one yoghurt cup per year - let's be realistic. But in my eyes it is definitely important to have a critical look on my waste and maybe rethink my habits.

I am still using kitchen paper rolls although I know you could use cloth wipes and throw them in the washer afterwards. But if you have toddlers with a tendency to collect stomach bugs (or furry friends who tend to puke a bit) you might be thankful to be able to throw out the mess as a whole. Therefore, I won't do without kitchen paper (at least for this purpose). But I thought I could do without these yellow-green dish-cleaning sponges and as I had some twine on hand I decided to crochet such a sponge like you see all the time on my favorite inspirations platform. But to be honest: That thingy isn't handy at all and of no good use for cleaning my pots and pans (which I usually clean by hand) and therefore: Glitters, but is definitely not gold.

And I have another example from my bathroom: When I was done with my cotton pads, I crocheted a bunch of these little round pads out of cotton yarn. 



My plan was to use them for make-up or nail polish removal but it didn't work out properly. Although the yarn is pretty absorbent, the nail polish didn't get off as smoothly as I hoped. For my liking I had to use much too much remover liquid (which doesn't make sense when aiming for zero waste) and there were these little remnants around the cuticles which were annoyingly persistent. So, another example for "glitters, but is only brass". My tipp: Use an old t-shirt instead. Cut it into a handy size (like a normal washcloth or German DIN A5 for the Sheldon Coopers among us) it does a way better job than the crocheted stuff and plus you don't have to hem them because they don't unravel. Win-win-situation!

Saw that in the net the day before yesterday - laughed so hard:

Could the Brits at least take their weather with them?


Pretty right - since weeks it is pouring with rain and I regularly check the dog paws for any webbing… Therefore, we didn't do anything exciting last weekend. Stay dry during the upcoming week!



No comments:

Post a Comment