Friday, January 10, 2020

Plans, Project and Ufos

Hi y'all!

While Heinrich and Else chill out on the couch I took some time to make a bucket list of things I want to try in 2020. 


One of these projects I already finished. After I undecorated all Christmas stuff and put it away in the basement, I realized that there was a gap on my sideboard which had to be filled. Wintery but not Christmasy and therefore, I took a sponge and dabbed some paint on an old bottle. Then I collected some twigs and made some pompoms in various sizes out of left-over yarn from the animal hats I knitted. Cute, right?


And here is the bucket list:

Let's begin with an UFO (unfinished object) which started with a pile of old jeans and the need for a new rug in the living room. Our old rug was unfortunately chosen only by optics not in light of practicality… It is still beautiful but I am afraid I will never get it clean again although I even cleaned it with such a professional carpet cleaning device. Fact is I need something I can throw in the washer regularly. Therefore, I began a jeans quilt and to match it with our couch I crocheted winered polka dots which I meticulously attached to the denim.



Much to my dismay the quilt was way too small, so I added some piping out of winered polkadot fabric and wanted to add a wide border afterwards. But somehow it didn't wow me and I then happened to find a rag rug online which was unbeatable pricewise. I couldn't manage to buy backing and batting for the price of that rug und so I ordered it. You might even see it on the picture with the doggies. I only saw these rag rugs multicolored which I didn't like that much. But in red it is simply perfect. And the special thing is that it is really made of fabric scraps. You can even detect some sequined ones - my inner diva is very pleased! And with this purchase in mind I will enlarge the denim quilt only slightly and back it with a fleece blanket. No batting and only a few seams for quilting both layers.

Furthermore there are two special birthdays on my agenda: my dad turns 75 and my Wolfi-in-Law turns 70 - two reasons for two special gifts. Either quilts, but I am not quite sure about that, or something knitted. I thought about Celtic cable cardigans. I guess I have to interview their better halves and then I have to hurry - May and August...

And in February a dear colleage will be welcoming his baby boy and I want to gift him something I made myself. What to you think about a nice, funny set of bibs?

Last year I purchased some light blue fabric for myself suitable for a blouse. And in the meantime I discovered a beautiful pattern with box pleats and a high collar. Might turn out pretty nice.

In our living room we have a faux leather pouf which is in some state of disintegration and I plan to make a cover instead of buying a complete new one. For starters I thought of a knitted cover but was afraid one might see through it. And then it came to my mind to use some felted fabric and sew it with exposed seams. I don't have to hem it, and a light grey might go well with the rest of the furniture style.

A few days ago a watched a video how to turn a pickle jar, a stick and a strap into a bird feeder. That came in pretty handy because I stashed some suitcase belts which are too wide to be used as bag handles. Time for a feast, my feathery friends!

I usually keep my fabric scraps and it sums up to a large pile which is excellent for fillings. I might turn it into a dog bed, either as an oval with a high brim or as a hexi-turtle-pillow, as little boat or as a puff quilt. At the moment I don't have an outer fabric yet, but as soon as I find some, this will determine the design of the bed.

On top my sister gave me some laundry detergent made out of chestnuts - I have, have, have to try this out. And I want to DIY more of my cleaning products - I realized you can get baking soda and vinegar in bulk :-) Oh, and I want to try my own deodorant - spray and cream. And because Sarah was so enthusiastic about it, I will try my own sourdough.

And last but not least I need some large candleholders for block candles - either from turned and carved chair legs - if you can get them separately at our hardware store - or from mason jars or jar lids.

Will keep you posted!



No comments:

Post a Comment