Friday, October 22, 2021

The afterlife of a jeans, part 2

Hi, Y'all! 

Last Friday I hope I brought some joy to a few dogs. Not because they were allowed to bite my leg or my jeans, but because I took apart all our worn-out jeans and reassembled them in a dog-friendly way.  

I found out that not far away from our home there is a so called Tieranker (which means animal anchor like in sheet anchor). This is a nonprofit organsation for people in need and their animals. Once a month people can come there and take home some animal food, a new doggie bed or a leash or whatever kittie or doggie might need. Besides they even support vet visits and care for medical needs. Overall they have an eye for those in need, and I even read that they plan a Christmas party with a gift exchange.  

And that was my clue! I cut the well-loved blues until my scissors were dull and sewed until my needle was glowing! And except the thick seams and the bulky waistband I re-used absolutely everything. 

I started with the butt pockets and turned them into a pack of turtles and a pile of bones (filled with teeny-tiny denim fabric scraps): 


Then I tore the legs into long strips and braided them into tug toys. Btw: the red string is an old shoelace :-)


OK, if I used legs, pockets and the upper part and if I sortet out the waistband and the seams, there is still something left, right? Exactly, the zipper! 

But what shall we do with the drunken sailor and a dozen short zippers? We combine them with milk cartons. Wait, we do what??? 

It's pretty simple: I already told you that I love these Tetrapaks as packaging for pralines and chocolates because they are coated on the inside. Why don't I sew little pouches for treats like sliced wieners or other sticky little things like that? You actually can sew the material with your machine, you won't believe it. Nevertheless I have to admit, that it is tricky to turn them inside out after sewing, and one broke during the turning process. But they aren't meant to last eternally. And this is how they look: 


I made different sizes according to the length of the zippers, and then I painted them with Sharpies. I'm pretty sure you could do some cross stitching, put stickers on them or embellish them otherwise, but this was my first attempt, and I liked them a lot. From the distance they look like old leather, don't they? 

Here's a closer look:







All these things I donated last Friday to the Tieranker, and Heinrich has high hopes that the doggies and their people will like them! 


Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment