Monday, November 2, 2020

Body and Soul

  Do something good to your body

so that your soul will dwell inside.


Hi, y'all,

I can't say for sure whether this is by Teresa of Avila or Winston Churchill (most likely he quoted her), but there is definitely some truth in it. And last week I honestly took good care of both, my body and soul. First I had a video call with two friends I have the pleasure knowing since our apprenticeship decades ago. Although it was not quite the same as a physical meeting, it was nevertheless awesome to have a good lengthy chat about anything and everything. Will do that again, shortly!

To be able to work at my sewing machine is definitely good for my wellbeing, and I already told you about my rainbow of fabric scraps sitting in little glasses on my window sill. I wasn't sure what to do with them, because I had options galore, but recently I filled up my stash with interlining, so I could play around a bit. To be precise, I took a rectangle of interlining with the glue side facing up and arranged my fabric scraps in an eye-pleasing pattern. I ironed that onto the interlining and then folded every line where the fabric squares met (right sides facing) and sewed them. That resulted in a grid of horizontal and vertical seams and confusion of my non-sewing readers, I suppose. Well, here's a picture to make it clearer: 


The first two attempts didn't work, because the colors weren't matching correctly and my seams weren't exactly enough, thus the hearts were slightly deformed. Meanwhile I know how to do it right, but still have no clue what to do with them. But I'm slightly optimistic, I will find out.

But for proper post composition, I should finally draw a correct conclusion to my opening quote, and therefore, I'll show you my newest kitchen creations. Variation in the menu and reduced and/or conscious consumption of meat are always on top of my agenda, and therefore, we had leek spirals with tomato salad for Saturday's supper. It's simple as that: prepare a yeast dough (like a pizza crust) and form it into a rectangle. Cover it with cream cheese and herbs, leek and cherry tomatoes as well as grated cheese (there is never too much cheese, right). Then roll it up, and with a sharp knife cut the roll into thick slices. Bake them in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes, and there you go. The leftover tomatoes I served with some homemade balsamico cream, which means I cooked balsamic vinegar together with homemade grapejuice until it thickened. 


Sunday was a day for something crazy - coffee goulash. Basically it was a mushroom dish with coffee as ingredient for the sauce. Well, since "Chocolat" with Johnny Depp no one bats an eye when the salty recipe calls for chocolate. But coffee? But as it was balanced out by two cups of red wine, I decided to take the risk :-) And it was delish!!! 


Man does not live by bread (or goulash) alone, and mum-in-law's birthday was approaching. Thus I produced another gift in my witch cauldron: apple limes or winter magic (whatever your literary taste prefers). Main ingredient: Vodka :-) And apple juice, apple sauce and a pinch of cinnamon. Due to the apple sauce the consistency is creamy like strawberry limes, and the combination of apple and cinnamon is unbeatable. If you like cinnamon, that is. So, nothing for my mum, I'd say. But it's quickly prepared and a nice gift together with a pretty birthday card. 




Unfortunately, it's still on its way, but upon arrival we will do another video call. And as I prepared another bottle for us, we can somehow have a little drink together! And I'm pretty sure, that will built up our resistance in some way or other :-)

This being said - do yourself good and stay healthy!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment