Monday, December 9, 2019

Second candle

Hey guys, I hope you had a cosy second advent like me - with Stollen, tea and cookies. What else could you do in that ugly weather of ours? As I had choir rehearsals on Thursday I did my house cleaning on Saturday and didn't do much other than than. Only a bit of fuzzing around with Christmas presents so I can't show here. On my German blog I published a poem by Loriot but I am unable to translate it. To sweeten your week please find below the first scene of one of my favorite movies… Have fun!


Life of Brian Script
Scene 1: The Relationship of Men and Sheep
holy music
MORRIS: I love sheep.
SHEPHERD #2: So do I. Terrific animals. Terrific.
MORRIS: No trouble.
SHEPHERD #2: No, no trouble.
SHEPHERD #1: Except at shearing. They can play up a bit, then; can't they?
MORRIS: Oh, yeah, but I like that sort of little burst of frenzy they have then, you know. I like it when they get a little bit angry. Shows they're human.
SHEPHERD #1: Oh, yeah. I-- I-- I'm not saying I dislike them at shearing, you know, but they can be a bit of a handful; can't they?
MORRIS: Well, so would you be if you had a great pair of scissors snippin' away while someone held your back legs apart. 
SHEPHERD #1: Hm. 
MORRIS: You'd wiggle a bit. You'd kick up a bit of a fuss. Heh.
SHEPHERD #1: Yeah, I-- I'm not saying I just expect them to stand around in the fields and nibble the grass and look a bit pretty. I-- I'm not saying that. 
SHEPHERD #2: Oh, but they are pretty; aren't they? 
MORRIS: Yeah. 
SHEPHERD #1: Oh, SHEPHERD #2: I mean, look at that one over there against the sky. The white of the coat, the little black face against the twinkling stars beyond. 
MORRIS: Yes. Aww. Terrific. 
SHEPHERD #1: Mhm. 
MORRIS: Terrific animals. 
SHEPHERD #1: Mm. 
SHEPHERD #2: The little lambs in springtime. 
MORRIS: Oh. 
SHEPHERD #1: Ahh. 
MORRIS: The lambs, eh? Now you're talking. They're lovely, eh? I love them. 
SHEPHERD #2: Oh, so do I, Morris. I love them more than anything. Little white furry bundles. 
SHEPHERD #1: Mhmm. 
MORRIS: I think, of all God's creatures, sheep have the best offspring. 
SHEPHERD #2: Oh, yes. Terrific animals. 
MORRIS: Mm.
SHEPHERD #2: Terrific. 
SHEPHERD #1: Yeah. They're so sure-footed.
SHEPHERD #2: Hm. 
MORRIS: And quick-witted.
SHEPHERD #1: Are they quick-witted? 
MORRIS: Yeah. Yeah. Oh, yeah, they're quite, uh, quick-witted. 
SHEPHERD #1: Mhm. 
SHEPHERD #2: Always cheerful. Hmm. 
SHEPHERD #1: Well, except at shearing. Hehhehheh. 
MORRIS: Why are you always on about shearing? 
SHEPHERD #1: I'm not always on about it, Morris.
MORRIS: You are a great deflator, you are. 
SHEPHERD #1: He was-- 
MORRIS: Of all the moments in their little lives, you unerringly put your finger on the one moment where they lose a little bit of dignity. Well, I regard that as cheap, quite honestly. 
SHEPHERD #2: Oh, look! Look. One of them's looking up at us. Heh. He knows we're talkin' about him. sniff 
SHEPHERD #1: Morris, don't get me wrong. I actually like their behavior at shearing. I actually like them when they get a little bit cross. I find that endearing. 
MORRIS: That's the fantastic thing. They're beautiful to look at, well-disposed, quite quick-witted, and yet, tough as nails. 
SHEPHERD #2: sniff 
MORRIS: sniff 
SHEPHERD #2: You know, I can't think of anything I'd rather do than watch sheep. 
MORRIS: Mmm. 
SHEPHERD #1: The only other animals that I would be remotely interested in watching would be cats. 
MORRIS: They don't have flocks of cats. 
SHEPHERD #1: No, I-- I'm not saying they do, Morris. 
MORRIS: Can you imagine a herds of cats waiting to be sheared? Meow! Meow! Woo hoo hoo. 
SHEPHERD #2: Shh! Shh. I heard something over there.
MORRIS: Wolves? 
SHEPHERD #2: Could be. 
MORRIS: Where? 
SHEPHERD #2: Over there. 
MORRIS: Right. 
thump thump 
Take that, you buggers! 
SHEPHERD #4: Oowhh.
SHEPHERD #2: That's not a wolf. 
SHEPHERD #4: S-- Gordon Bennett! 
SHEPHERD #3: ungh What did you do that for!? 
MORRIS: I thought he was a wolf. 
SHEPHERD #3: You hit him right in the face! 
MORRIS: Well, he shouldn't come snooping 'round like that. 
SHEPHERD #3: You wait till you hear what we've just seen! The most incredible things just happened! 
SHEPHERD #4: Don't tell 'em. Owhh. 
SHEPHERD #3: We were on the hillside over there when this amazing- 
SHEPHERD #4: Don't tell them! They broke my bloody nose! 
SHEPHERD #3: Can't I tell them about the amazing th-- 
SHEPHERD #4: No! Oohh. 
SHEPHERD #3: Well, they said we were to tell everybody!
SHEPHERD #4: Not people who break your bloody nose! Come on. 
SHEPHERD #1: Where are you going? 
SHEPHERD #3: Bethlehem. 
SHEPHERD #4: Nowhere! Good night. Uhh. 
MORRIS: That's right! Leave your sheep! Leave them to the wolves! Call yourselves shepherds?! You're a disgrace to the profession! 
SHEPHERD #2: Huh. What a rotten thing to do,... 
MORRIS: Yeah. 
SHEPHERD #2: ...to go and leave those little helpless furry bundles alone on the hillside. 
holy music fades in 
MORRIS: So they can go down to Bethlehem and get drunk. 
pause 
SHEPHERD #1: Is it A.D. yet? 
MORRIS: Quarter past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment